June of 2007 Informed Choice of Iowa was founded with the vision to Eliminate the ‘need’ for Abortion in Iowa.
The hope was to find a way to compete with abortion clinics in the area and provide superior medical care to women experiencing crisis pregnancies.
In 2009 after recovering from the flood of ’08, the Choices Medical Clinic was opened in Iowa City that April.
The free standing pregnancy imaging and diagnosis medical clinic model is a proven model that works to reduce abortions more effectively than traditional counseling efforts alone.
In 2010 services were expanded to include full STI and STD testing for women and men. The Choices Medical Clinic was renamed and re-branded as the Informed Choices of Iowa City Medical Clinic.
Statistically, among high school and college students today, a sexually active person is 3 times more likely to contract an STD than to become pregnant. STD testing gives us the opportunity to speak to people about the risk they are putting themselves in, to teach God’s true plan for sex and marriage, and bring healing to their broken hearts. When a client chooses abstinence, the possible “need” for abortion is eliminated from their future.
In 2011 we set our sites on the state of Iowa, beginning with the college and university communities and adopted a new satellite clinic model.
50% of the abortions in Iowa are performed on white 18-24 year old women with 2 years post-secondary education. Our new Satellite Clinic Model allows us to quickly and efficiently open clinics in strategic areas across the state.
In 2015 we achieved AAAHC accreditation for all our clinics and acquired our first mobile clinic.
In 2017 we opened a new clinic in Burlington.
Our Vision (what the future looks like)
Eliminate the “need” for abortion in Iowa.
Our Mission (what we do everyday)
Turn Fear into confidence by meeting the Real Needs of women and men and providing Strength for life’s tough choices.
- Abortion Elimination By Demand Reduction
Programs & Services
- Pregnancy Testing
- Limited Obstetrical Ultrasound
- STD Risk Assessments
- STD Testing, Diagnosis & Treatment
- Early Prenatal Care
- Information – Abortion: Procedures, Risks, & Side Effects
- Referrals for OB Care & Social Services, Adoption Services
- Certified Adoption Liaisons and Referrals for adoption services
- Abstinence Education for Middle & High School
- Post Abortion Recovery Groups
- Natural Family Planning Education
- Medical Doctors
- Mid-Level Practitioners (NP and PA)
- Nurses/Sonographers – Sonography training available
- Medical Assistants
- Clinical Assistants (Non-medical)
- Social Workers
- Data Entry/Office Assistants
- More – Contact us for more details
Our bylaws are designed to follow traditional laws of governance – moving away from the “working board” structure to a governing board.